Follow these six MOXIE tips to breathe life into your at-home fitness routine:
- Take short active breaks during the day. Reduce sedentary behavior by setting achievable goals. Aim for 30-minutes of physical activity at least five days a week. Short bouts of physical activity add up to your weekly goal. Dancing, playing with children and performing domestic chores such as cleaning and gardening are other ways to stay active at home.
- Follow an online exercise class. Take advantage of the wealth of online exercise classes. Many of these are free and can be found on YouTube. If you have no experience performing these exercises, be cautious and aware of your own limitations. Make time for exercise first thing in the morning to promote clarity and improved energy throughout the day.
- Walk. Walking around or walking on the spot, can help you remain active. If you have a call, stand or walk around your home while you speak, instead of sitting down. Enjoy the outdoors! Physical activity improves circulation, increases heat and results in a feeling of lightness and balance.
- Stand up. Aim to interrupt sitting and reclining time every 30 minutes. Consider setting up a standing desk by using a high table or stacking a pile of books or other materials if working from home. During leisure time prioritize cognitively stimulating activities, such as reading, board games and puzzles.
- Relax. Meditation and deep breaths can help you remain calm. A few examples of relaxation techniques are available here from MOXIE.
- Clean out your pantry & refrigerator. Restock with healthier, lighter fare including pineapple and apples. These fruits, rich in bromelain and quercetin, will help build your immune system. For optimal health, it is also important to remember to eat healthily and stay hydrated. Prefer whole grains rather than refined foods. Drink water instead of sugar-sweetened beverages and limit or avoid alcoholic beverages. Ensure plenty of fruits and vegetables, and limit the intake of salt, sugar and fat. Feeling puffy? Drink warm water first thing in the morning to increase detoxification. Massage your skin with warm, organic sesame oil to promote lymphatic circulation and fluid balance.
Wanting more? Check us out in person and sign up for one of our many, fun classes today!